Sunday, September 28, 2008

*****Tomato Horn Worm*****



In our new backyard the previous owners had some tomato plants that they obviously didn't take much care of. The kids were exploring the yard and were excited to find a "caterpillar". I immediately recognized it as the pests they were. For anyone growing tomatoes you know you do not want to find a tomato horn worm anywhere near your garden. Since I didn't care much about the plants I let Megan and Cameron each keep one in a jar. Each morning and evening they would pick tomato leaves for them. It was amazing how quickly they grew. By the end we only had one horn worm left. It was very fat and starting to turn a brown color. I thought it was dying. We asked a woman at the Houston Museum about it. She said that horn worms change under ground. We looked it up online and sure enough she was right. The kids filled a jar with dirt and placed the lethargic caterpillar on top. Within a few hours it dug all the way to the bottom. A few weeks later we came home from scouts late. I wanted the kids to go straight to bed, but they are masters at finding a way to stay up just alittle bit longer. Megan looked into the jar and said, "Mom, the caterpillar turned into a moth." Sure enough the moth had crawled from the dirt and was sitting on top of it with wet wings. Cameron pulled it quickly out and let it crawl all over him. After 30 minutes they let it go outside. I'm sure to have tomato horn worm problems next year!


4 comments:

The Mercer Family said...

WELL WELL WELL!!! hehe I hope you don't mind if I check this out once in a while! I found this blog through Matt and Jeanette's blog! That's so awesome that you guys started a blog! I'm excited to have a new place to visit to see you guys and what you're up to! Love you all!

The Mercer Family said...

PS- What a good mom to let your kids keep it...I don'tk now if it would gross me out too much. With two boys now, I'd better start getting used to ideas of bugs in jars! :)

Ellis Family said...

Carrie,

I'm at least glad that someone in the family is commenting on our blog : ) ! What is your blog???? I would love to visit. E-mail it to me cmellis008@gmail.com.

Love ya,

Cath

The Mercer Family said...

My blog is www.themercerfam.blogspot.com... I would love it if you stopped by! Hey, I hope all went well with Matt and Jeanette's baby blessing! Crack the whip Cath....get these guys posting again! :))